Although our adult teeth are meant to last a lifetime, that is not always the case. There is an array of situations and dental complications that can lead to the loss of adult teeth. While adult tooth loss is unfortunate, it is not untreatable. Advances in dental technology allow patients a permanent solution for missing teeth. Nashville cosmetic dentist Clint Newman offers dental implant surgery to provide patients with a secure and durable anchor for dental crowns, dental bridges, or permanent dentures.
For our patients in Nashville, dental implant surgery is a lengthy process that involves a series of treatments. Each step of the procedure is vital to the success of the dental implants. Every stage of the process will be spaced out, allowing the gums and jaw bone time to heal properly before the next stage of treatment can be completed. While every treatment plan will be customized to the patient, typically the stages of dental implant surgery will occur as follows:
- Consultation: Before the dental implant procedure can begin, Dr. Newman will perform a thorough consultation to evaluate the health of the teeth, gums, and jaw bone. This information allows Dr. Newman to create the most appropriate treatment plan. At this consultation, Dr. Newman encourages patients to ask any questions or express any concerns they have regarding the procedure. This consultation is a chance for the patient to gather as much information as possible regarding dental implant surgery.
- Surgical placement of the dental implants: At the first surgical procedure, a small hole will be made in the gum and jaw bone where the implant is to be placed. The dental implant (which is actually a small screw) will then be placed and capped off with a protective cover.
- Osseointegration: After the surgical placement of the dental implant, the patient will be given time to heal while osseointegration occurs. This is the process in which the implant fuses to jaw bone and becomes secure. This healing time can take up to six months.
- Placing the abutment: When osseointegration has occurred, Dr. Newman will reopen the hole above the dental implant to attach the abutment to the dental implant.
- Placing artificial teeth: When healthy gum tissue has grown around the base of the abutment, patients will be ready for the final stage of the dental implant surgery. Dr. Newman will place the prosthetic (a dental crown, dental bridge, or permanent dentures).
During the stages of dental implant surgery, Dr. Newman will give the patient special care instructions to ensure that jaw bone and gums heal properly and fuse to the dental implant. However, once the implants are in place, the prosthetics can be brushed and flossed along with the natural teeth. In addition, patients should attend routine dental appointments.
Schedule an Appointment
If you have missing teeth and can benefit from dental implant surgery, schedule an appointment with Dr. Clint Newman to learn more about the dental implant procedure. We look forward to working with you!