Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
Adult tooth loss is not just a source of embarrassment; it can also be the catalyst for more serious oral health problems. The gaps that are left by missing teeth can cause surrounding teeth to cave in or shift out of place and missing teeth can also result in bone loss in the jaws. While there are many treatments available to correct tooth loss, Nashville dentist Clint Newman often finds that dental implants are the most appropriate procedure. For those in Nashville who are dental implant candidates, implants offer the most comfortable, secure, and durable anchor for dental restorations. The benefits offered by dental implants leaves many of our patients asking, “Are dental implants right for me?”
An oral exam and consultation with Dr. Newman is the best way to determine if a patient is a good candidate for dental implants. For our patients in Nashville, dental implants are generally best-suited for candidates who meet the following requirements:
- Gums that are in healthy condition
- Substantial jaw bone (for patients who do not have enough healthy bone material in the jaw, a bone grafting procedure may be performed prior to placement of the dental implants)
- Commitment to maintaining the dental implants and restorations through routine dental care and good oral hygiene habits
- Willingness to undergo oral surgery and accept the chance of risk or complication
Unfortunately, dental implants will not be the right choice for all of our patients. Some situations that may exclude a patient as a dental implant candidate include:
- Heavy smoking (which can negatively affect the oral health and decrease the chance of success for dental implants)
- Jaw bones that are continuing to grow (typical in young patients)
- Certain chronic diseases, such as immune deficiencies and uncontrolled diabetes
- Use of certain medications
- Habit of grinding or clenching the teeth (which can put too much pressure on the dental implants)
For his patients who are not good candidates for dental implants, Dr. Newman will discuss alternate restorative dental treatments, including dental bridges and dentures.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Our patients who are found to be suitable candidates for dental implants will benefit from significant improvements to the aesthetics and health of the teeth. Additionally, patients can expect the following benefits:
- Dental restorations that fit comfortably and securely
- Dental restorations that function just as the natural teeth, meaning there are no diet restrictions
- Artificial teeth that can be cleaned and cared for just as the natural teeth
- Improved tooth function, including improved chewing and speaking
- Prevention of jaw bone loss
- Long-term success (with proper care, dental implants can last for more than 40 years)
Schedule an Appointment
Do not let tooth loss continue to plague your smile. If you’ve been wondering if dental implants are right for you, the first step in answering that question is to schedule an appointment with Dr. Clint Newman. Dr. Newman will examine the teeth, gums, and jaw to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. If you do qualify for treatment with dental implants, Dr. Newman will explain the treatment procedure and answer any of your questions. We look forward to working with you!