Porcelain Dental CrownsThere are a number of factors that can negatively affect the health and aesthetics of the teeth: traumatic injury, tooth decay, acid erosion, and even general wear and tear. Any of these situations can create an unhealthy environment for the teeth and make even the most basic oral functions difficult and uncomfortable. Fortunately, there is a dental treatment that can be successful in correcting any of these dental imperfections.
At Dr. Clint Newman’s Nashville cosmetic dentistry practice, porcelain crowns are frequently used to repair damaged teeth and restore both strength and beauty.
Uses of Porcelain CrownsPorcelain crowns are one of the most popular dental treatments performed by Dr. Newman. This is because, for his patients in Nashville, dental crowns can be applied to correct a wide variety of dental problems. Some of the most frequent uses for porcelain crowns include:
- Restoring the shape, size, and structure of a damaged tooth
- Adding a layer of protection to a tooth that underwent root canal therapy
- Improving the aesthetics of a damaged tooth
- Covering an old dental filling
- Protecting a tooth that is vulnerable to damage and/or decay
- Acting as a dental restoration for a dental implant
- Anchoring a dental bridge
Why Porcelain?Porcelain crowns are a better option than other types of crowns in many ways. They discreetly blend with the rest of your teeth. They are also stronger, more attractive, and natural looking than metal crowns. Porcelain crowns are especially well suited to teeth in the “smile line” or the parts of your teeth exposed when you smile and talk. Another option is a porcelain-fused-to-metal crown, which is made of metal, upon which porcelain is fused, providing a similar appearance as a full porcelain crown.
Dr. Newman and our practiced staff are happy to speak with you about porcelain crowns and your specific dentistry needs. For more information on our dentistry services in Nashville, including porcelain crowns and other cosmetic and general procedures, please contact us today.
Porcelain Crowns TreatmentPorcelain crowns treatment can typically be completed within two dental appointments. At the first dental appointment, molds will be made of the teeth to ensure the most accurate fit of the porcelain crown. A temporary crown will also be fabricated using this mold. Once the tooth has been numbed and cleaned of all traces of decay, the temporary crown will be placed. This crown will remain on the tooth for approximately two weeks, at which time the patient will return for a second appointment when the final porcelain crown will be cemented into place.
Benefits of Porcelain CrownsPatients who receive porcelain crowns from Dr. Newman will benefit from improved strength of the tooth, improved aesthetics, and improved oral health. Porcelain crowns are beneficial to patients in the following ways:
- Porcelain crowns are fabricated to closely match the color, shape, and size of the natural teeth. Additionally, porcelain closely matches the sheen of the natural teeth.
- Porcelain crowns are more durable than ceramic dental crowns and should last for several years before needing to be replaced.
- Porcelain crowns are useful in not only restoring strength to the tooth but also in protecting the tooth against future damage or decay.
- Porcelain crowns improve the function of the tooth, making it easier and more comfortable to eat, chew, and speak.