Dr. Thomas Underwood
In private practice since 1971, Dr. Thomas Underwood has personally seen how far the dental field has advanced.
With his five decades of hands-on experience and insight, we are proud to have him join our practice.
At Clint Newman, DDS, in Nashville, TN, Dr. Underwood is a valued and skilled member of our team.
Education and Training
Dr. Underwood is a Tennessee native. He attended Lipscomb University where he earned his B.A. in Chemistry Biology. He went on to earn his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) from the University of Tennessee Dental School.
Dr. Underwood also spent time undergoing additional training at Vanderbilt’s Peabody College, as well as six months completing an Externship with the Tennessee Public Health organization. He is also a member of the Green Hills Study Club and Hillsboro Study Club.
Dr. Underwood is the Founder of Interfaith Dental Clinic. This organization provides a full range of dental services, including emergency care for low-income, uninsured people suffering from dental problems.
Dr. Underwood has also spent decades providing dental care to those in need all around the globe. During his mission work, Dr. Underwood has traveled to Israel, Zambia, Jamaica, Honduras, and Kenya to provide oral health care to those in need.
Awards and Honors
Throughout his career, Dr. Underwood has been the recipient of several prestigious awards and achievements. Some of the most notable include:
- T.D.A. Fellowship Award
- Fellow American College of Dentists
- Fellow International College of Dentists
- Tennessee Academy of General Dentistry Dentist of the Year
- Tennessee Academy of General Dentistry 1998 Recipient of Sig. Greenwald Humanitarian Service Award
- ADA Humanitarian Award 2008 -1st Recipient of this Award
- TDA Jack Wells Dedication to Dentistry Award 2010 (TDA’s most prestigious award)
Lectures and Presentations
Dr. Underwood has been invited to speak and many conferences and meetings. Some of these include:
- Presenter at the Healthy People 2010 Conference in Washington DC
- ADA 2010 Medicaid Symposium Presentation on TennCare Dental Program as a National Model
- ADA Annual Meeting 2013 Presentation “Medicaid Managed Care Models"